France has banned Israel’s far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir from its territory after footage of him taunting abducted flotilla activists earlier in the week triggered international condemnation.
“As from today, Itamar Ben-Gvir is banned from entering French territory,” Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot said on X on Saturday.
- list 1 of 3Caitriona Graham recounts violent treatment after Gaza flotilla raid
- list 2 of 3Western nations warn Israel to end illegal settlement expansion, violence
- list 3 of 3Gaza flotilla activists allege abuse, sexual assault in Israeli detention
end of list
“This decision follows his reprehensible actions towards French and European citizens who were passengers on the Global Sumud Flotilla.”
Ben-Gvir had posted footage on a social media platform showing himself gloating as activists from the flotilla knelt on the floor, blindfolded, with their hands bound, at the Port of Ashdod.
Israeli naval forces had intercepted the flotilla’s vessels in international waters off the coast of Cyprus, illegally abducting about 430 participants.
The images of activists being dragged across the floor prompted several countries – including Italy, France, the Netherlands, Canada, and Spain – to summon Israeli ambassadors, condemning the “unacceptable” treatment and violation of human dignity.
“We cannot tolerate French nationals being threatened, intimidated, or subjected to violence in this way, especially by a public official. I note that these actions have been condemned by a large number of Israeli governmental and political figures,” Barrot said
“They follow a long series of shocking statements and actions, as well as incitement to hatred and violence against Palestinians. Like my Italian colleague, I call on the European Union to also impose sanctions against Itamar Ben-Gvir.”
Advertisement
Related News
Philippines orders arrest of fugitive senator wanted by ICC
Niger suspends nine French media bodies: Watchdog slams ‘abusive’ decision
Over 2,000 gather in San Diego to mourn three men killed in mosque attack