News Americas, CARACAS, Venezuela, Mon. April 4, 2011: Eight people have so far died this year from swine flu in the South American nation of Venezuela while over 700 others are infected.
That’s according to the country’s Health Minister, Eugenia Sader. Sader told the media over the weekend that the AH1N1 or swine flu virus has caused six deaths since March 17th and eight since the beginning of 2011.
Of the six fatalities caused by the outbreak since March, two of them occurred in Merida, another two in the central state of Aragua. The virus has also infected 712 people.
The outbreak has affected 20 out of every 100,000 people in Merida and eight out of every 100,000 in Caracas, where lab tests have confirmed the infection of 174 patients, the minister said.
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said last Sunday that the outbreak “is under control” and called on citizens “not to panic.”